Interview Authorization Agreement
THIS INTERVIEW AUTHORIZATION AGREEMENT (“Agreement”) between the “Interviewee” and Virginia Foundation for the Humanities, Inc. on behalf of BackStory Radio with its principal place of business located at 145 Ednam Drive Charlottesville, VA 22903 (the “Producer”). For the consideration of one dollar and other good and valuable consideration, the receipt and sufficiency of which are hereby acknowledged by the parties, the parties hereby agree as follows:
1. The Interviewee hereby irrevocably grants to Producer all rights whatsoever to conduct their interview including, but not limited to gathering of relevant information and research, recording in various scenarios and circumstances and other activities common to the production of a documentary style production (collectively all such activities and interviews are hereinafter referred to as (“Interviews”) on a mutually agreed upon schedule and to film, tape or otherwise record and/or photograph the Interview and to reproduce, simulate and/or use their name, voice, likeness, performance, and/or attributes in connection with a radio show production or podcast featuring the Interviewee (hereinafter the “Project”) and any of Producer’s rights herein. The Interviewee agreed to give the Producer access to information requested by the Producer that is within the Interviewee’s control (and to assist in obtaining such information from any third parties) that is reasonably related to the subject matter of the Project.
2. The Interviewee hereby further irrevocably assigns to the Producer all rights, results and proceeds of the Interviews (and all other items stated in subparagraph 1 above) to Producer and Producer shall exclusively own all rights, title and interests therein (including all copyrights), including without limitation, the right to use Interviews, in whole or in part, as well as any event, story, personal experience or incident related to the Interviewee (whether or not specifically discussed in any Interview), and in connection with the Project, in any and all media now known or later devised, in perpetuity, throughout the Universe in any manner or form. Producer may also edit the photography and/or sound recordings of the Interviews as it sees fit. The Interviewee agrees to cooperate with the Producer to execute any additional documents to confirm Producer’s rights under this Agreement.
3. The Interviewee hereby promises that the information the Interviewee gives in his/her interview shall be wholly truthful and complete and the Interviewee agrees to indemnify and hold harmless Producer and any other person or party acting under Producer’s permission or authority (collectively, “Indemnitees”) from any and all liability or claimed liability in connection with his/her participation in the Interviews, any use of any Interviews, any materials furnished by the Interviewee, any words spoken by the Interviewee or any breach of this Agreement by the Interviewee. The Interviewee, for themselves as well as their heirs and successors, hereby release the Indemnitees from and agrees not to bring or support any claim or cause of action against them for any reason whatsoever, including without limitation, any claim for libel, slander, invasion of privacy, or right of publicity, arising out of the exercise of any rights the Interviewee have granted in this document. The Interviewee understands that except as specifically stated herein, the Interviewee shall not be entitled to any additional compensation in connection with the interview, any project using the interview, or any rights granted herein.
4. Producer shall have the unrestricted right to use and to allow others to use any or all of the rights granted to the Producer hereunder and to assign the same to any third party. In the event of any dispute relating to this Agreement, any Interview or the Project, the Interviewee agrees that their remedies, individually and jointly, shall be strictly limited to seeking actual monetary damages, if any, solely in an action at law and the Interviewee hereby waives all equitable relief, including, but not limited to, any right to rescind or terminate this Agreement or to enjoin the Project and/or its exhibition and distribution or to any form of relief that would interfere with the development, production, marketing and/or exploitation of the Project. The preceding sentence is a material term of this Agreement.
5. The Interviewee grants the foregoing consent and rights with the knowledge and understanding that Producer and others will incur considerable expenses and/or undertake commitments in reliance thereon and that all rights granted by the Interviewee to Producer are therefore irrevocable. The Interviewee acknowledges that he/she has read this entire Agreement before signing it and the Interviewee understands all of its contents; that the Interviewee has had the chance to have their own legal counsel advise them about this Agreement and that the Interviewee has either done so or freely decided not to do so; that The Interviewee has not been promised anything except as specifically set forth in this document. This document is our entire understanding and is to be governed by the laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia and any actions related to this Agreement shall occur in the federal or state courts located in the Commonwealth of Virginia.