Here to There: Further Exploration
Mentioned on the Show:
- A River Running West: The Life of John Wesley Powell by Donald Worster
- The Black Book: Woodrow Wilson’s Secret Plan for Peace by Wesley Reisser
- Mapping the Nation by Susan Schulten
- Amerigo: The Man Who Gave His Name to America by Felipe Fernandez-Armesto
- 1980 NBC News election coverage
- An ode to the famous Mercator Map on the occasion of its 500th birthday.
- From maps for the blind to maps featuring farm animals, check out Big Think’s “Strange Maps” project.
- The companion site to Susan Schulten’s book Mapping the Nation.
- The Philadelphia Print Shop tells the stories behind some of the antique maps they collect and sell.
- Peruse the galleries of beautiful maps at the David Rumsey Historical Map Collection.
- Akerman, James and Robert Karrow, Jr. eds. Maps: Finding Our Place in the World. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2007.
- deBuys, William, ed. Seeing Things Whole: The Essential John Wesley Powell. Washington, D.C.: Island Press, 2004.
- Drum, Kevin. “Red States and Blue States…Explained!” Web. 14 November 2004. <http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/>.
- Lester, Toby. “The Waldseemuller Map: Charting the New World.” Web. December 2009. <http://www.smithsonianmag.com/>.
- Miller, Char ed. Water in the 21st Century West: A High Country News Reader. Corvallis, OR: Oregon State University Press, 2009.
- Schulten, Susan. “Visualizing Slavery.” New York Times. Web. 9 December 2010. <http://www.nytimes.com/>.
- Reps, John W. The Forgotten Frontier: Urban Planning in the American West before 1890. Columbia, MO: University of Missouri Press, 1982.