Straight Shot: Further Reading
The following is a list of sources used or consulted in the making of the BackStory episode “Straight Shot: Guns in America,” broadcast in January 2013. You can listen to the entire episode here.
Mentioned on the Show:
- Malcolm X on the right to bear arms.
- Gunfight: The Battle over the Right to Bear Arms in America by Adam Winkler
- Her Best Shot: Women and Guns in America by Laura Browder
- “The Secret History of Guns”: An article for the Atlantic by Adam Winkler
- “Battle Ground America”: An article by Jill Lepore for the New Yorker
- Negroes with Guns from the PBS Independent Lens series
- “A Huey P. Newton Story,” PBS feature on the California State Capital March of 1967
- The Second Amendment on Trial: Critical Essays on District of Columbia v. Heller, edited by Saul Cornell and Nathan Kozuskanich (forthcoming from the University of Massachusetts Press in August 2013)
- “Did the Wild West Have More Gun Control Than We Do Today?” Adam Winkler asks and answers an important question at the Huffington Post.
- Watch Tina Fey interpret Sarah Palin and Palin’s fondness for guns on Saturday Night Live
- What the “right to bear arms” really means, from Salon
- “The Declining Culture of Guns and Violence in the United States” by John Sides at The Monkey Cage
Bellesiles, Michael A. Arming America: The Origins of a National Gun Culture. New York: Soft Skull Press, 2003.
Cole, David. “Our Romance with Guns.” The New York Review of Books. Web. 27 September 2012. <http://www.nybooks.com/>.
Davidson, Osha Gray. Under Fire: The NRA and the Battle for Gun Control. Iowa City: University of Iowa Press, 1998.
Dykstra, Robert R.. The Cattle Towns. Lincoln, NE: University of Nebraska Press, 1983.
Muth, Robert and Stephen P. Andrews, eds. Guns in America: A Reader. New York: New York University Press, 1999.