Turf War: Further Exploration
The following are a list of sources used or consulted in the making of the BackStory episode “Turf War: A History of College Sports”, broadcast in September 2012. You can listen to the entire episode here.
Mentioned on the Show:
- “The Shame of College Sports” by Taylor Branch
- Campus Life: Undergraduate Cultures from the End of the 18th Century to the Present by Helen Horowitz
- Career in Crisis: Paul “Bear” Bryant and the 1971 Season of Change by John David Briley
- See footage from a 1903 football game between Princeton and Yale.
- Harvard Beats Yale, 29-29: A 2008 documentary about a famous 1968 game.
- Bowen, William G. and Sarah A. Levin. Reclaiming the Game: College Sports and Educational Values. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 2005.
- Bowen, William G. and James L. Shulman. The Game of Life: College Sports and Educational Values. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 2001.
- Karabel, Jerome. The Chosen: The Hidden History of Admission and Exclusion at Harvard, Yale, and Princeton. New York: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2005.
- Perry, Edward Delavan. The American University. Charleston, SC: BiblioBazaar, 2010.
- Sperber, Murray. Beer and Circus: How Big-Time College Sports Is Crippling Undergraduate Education. New York: Holt Paperbacks, 2001.
- Watterson, John Sayle. College Football: History, Spectacle, Controversy. Baltimore, MD: Johns Hopkins University Press, 2002.